When it comes to search engine optimization, the bottom line is that link building is still important. The popularity of any web page is dependent on its reaction off-page. Simply putting it, your link popularity on the web can easily upgrade or degrade your popularity with the search engines, especially Google.
To understand how this phenomena works, you must understand the concept of “link building”. In simple terms, it means the quality and number of links that are currently pointing to your website from web pages on other websites. Raising your popularity with web pages means raising your graph with the search engines as well. This whole structure is called “Link Building”. Below are some basic strategies you can use for better linking on the web:
- The main technique of link building is focusing on what‘s in it for the reader. If the content on your site doesn’t attract readers, then your days of creating quality content are over–you just won’t be able to attract good links to your website.
- Social media websites are very important and can help you. The easiest way to get your content some attention is to promote it on popular social media websites like Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus. Promoting your content on those websites not only gets you the attention of actual readers but other bloggers and website owners. They are always on the lookout for content that would help them in backing up their content as well. The most popular searching platforms for such content are social media websites. Then, even if those people aren’t actually searching for content to link to in their content, they might just see your post on social media–and that will cause them to write an article about what you posted, that they will link to.
- Understand the importance of headlines. Your content’s headline and the brief summary of the article play a vital part in the success of your article and determining whether your content is of any use to another blogger or not. If you have done a good job with your headline and summary description, it should attract people automatically. Try to squeeze in your keywords in the headline as well since they help people in understanding the basic purpose of your article. Your article will show up more often in the search results, especially if someone searches for a hashtag (if you include hashtags).
- Certain content works well on certain social media sites. It is important to note that different social media websites have different kinds of crowds. One headline that would work on one website, may not work on the other one that efficiently. Understanding the audience of the website is very important. Place your content on any social media website accordingly. You might even consider rewriting the headline and the description to tailor it to the social media site you’re posting it on.
- Try to get your friends to help you in time of need. Submitting your content with your own name will look bad for your reputation. It would clearly suggest that it’s self-promotion. Get your friends to submit your link for you. That would promote your cause and help you in establishing well recognized links. If the content is good enough, though, just share it on Facebook, Twitter, and on LinkedIn. It’s natural for you to share your own content on those sites. On other sites, though, like on Reddit or Hacker News, it’s not going to go over that well.
- Remember that linking out is very important. Be ready to put other people’ good content on your own website before you expect them to link to your content on theirs. It is easier to ask for a favor when you have done them one before. It is harder to say NO when you provide them links to where their content is on your own website. The internet, in general, is a place where links are how we navigate the web. If links didn’t exist, then we wouldn’t be able to click-thru to other websites. Just make sure that your links are natural–and that it makes sense to link out to any authority source when you link.
- Search the web for sites that have the same theme as yours. Suggesting your content to somebody requires that they have enough interest in your content to post it to theirs. Highlight the main benefits they would gain from putting your content on their website before you ask them to put a link to your material on their website. That’s if you’re going to ask people for a link.
Ongoing Monthly SEO Services
While Hartzer Consulting specializes in technical SEO audits of websites, we also provide SEO consulting services, on a retainer basis. We always prefer to begin all new projects with a technical SEO audit to find out the issues that need to be addressed. Contact us today to find out more about our monthly SEO services and how we can help you reach the goals for your website.